The bible is our Basic Instruction Before Leaving Earth. I always remind myself that I cannot call myself a Christian without the knowledge of who God is. The bible says in Proverbs 4:5 to “Get wisdom! Get understanding! Do not forget, nor turn away from the words of my mouth.” The word of God teaches us the principles needed to live as Christians. According to 2 Timothy 3:16 “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.” God’s word is rich in that it guides us further into wisdom, knowledge, truth, and understanding with the help of the Holy Ghost.
Moreover, as I stated before in order to be Christian or “Christ-like” we need to know who Jesus is and what his teachings are, we cannot stay simpletons and we need to ensure the accuracy of those who teach us. When we know God’s word we will not be easily taken advantage of by people who present themselves as God’s elect but preach and teach a twisted or incorrect doctrine, really they are what the bible refers to as wolves in sheep’s clothing false teachers who try to lead and in some cases succeed in leading the people of God astray. I am not saying that we should not trust pastors or biblical teachers but simply be able to follow along when scripture is presented and know for ourselves that the man or woman of God is teaching and preaching biblical truth. Furthermore, in the bible we discover how good God really is and what it takes to please him. We learn how to live correctly forsaking sin with His help and through the lives of the characters he selected we will be able to identify with his or her life experiences and what God was able to do for them.
Here are some tips on how to read and study the bible below
- Pray, prayer is one of the greatest attributes as a child of God
- It is recommended that the study of the Gospels should be read first, commentary is a help mate when trying to understand scripture.
- Note taking is always appropriate and necessary it helps our understanding of the information being presented in scripture.
- I was taught to answer the who, what, where, and even how questions as I read the content in the bible.
- An additional tool is practice bible knowledge quizzes, I personally take these and it helps me to remember the information as well.
While I am not a scholar or one who would be considered a theologian all of the above tips have helped me in my pursuit in learning the word of God. I have asked those who are more knowledgeable in studying scripture about their approach and have found that the main keys to understanding and interpreting the bible is prayer, commentary, and note taking. Remember to spread the word new life awaits everyone and it is found in the word of God.